Skip to main content

About this Show

The Young Turks With Cenk Uygur

News/Business. (2013) New. (CC) (Stereo)




San Francisco, CA, USA

Comcast Cable

Virtual Ch. 107 (CURNT)






Us 11, Naacp 7, Nebraska 6, Chuck Hagel 5, John Mccain 4, Jamaica 4, Iraq 4, California 4, Russia 4, Lindsey Graham 3, Volkswagen 3, Iran 3, New York City 3, New York 3, U.s. 3, John Kerry 2, Vo 2, Chris Culliver 2, Caleb Moore 2, Oakland 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  Current    The Young Turks With Cenk Uygur    News/Business.   
   (2013) New. (CC) (Stereo)  

    January 31, 2013
    4:00 - 5:00pm PST  

putin vampire hunter has started a pr campaign to convince russians to start pro creating more. and this week he taps boys to men, the r & b super group responsible for more unexpected mid 90s pregnancies than zima. they played moscow before but not for the expressed reason for down and dirty international relations. why would russia need a pro creating campaign. you would think that they would have tons of kids in russia with that much vodka and frozen tundra, what else is there to do but to stay in and do the nasty. why not tap russia's vast cultural legacy besides the fact that all of your books are about how terrible it is to live in that country.
i'm done talking now. >> jennifer: all right, someone is always in our war room. check us out online at"the war room" where you can link up to our @tytoncurrenter and facebook page and look at our exclusive web extras. thank you for joining us here on "the war room." have a great night. we'll see you back here on monday. >> welcome to "the young turks." cenk is out today but we have a fantastic show for you. >> heck, yes we do. i'm ana kasparian cohost of the "the young turks" on line. >> your story is about to get better after you watch this hour of quality t.v. programming. >> first we're going to talk about the key stone pipeline.
we'll follow the money. >> john mccain chuck hagel lots of drama. >> comedy before the superbowl weekend and nobody found it funny. >> the can we say is were you right or wrong? that's a pretty straight forward question. i would like the answer whether you were right or wrong and then you are free to elaborate. >> michael hastings, you have something for us about football, don't you? >> yes in advance of superbowl weekend, no one found it funny. >> what about gay guys, any approach you? >> i don't do the gay guys. >> are there any on the 49ers? >> lots of drama between chuck hagel and john mccain. and it's go time.
[ ♪ theme ♪ ] >> all right. the big story of the day today has to do with the excel key stone pipeline. it's been coming up again and again. the obama administration has refused to sign the permits to allow for the complete construction of the pipeline. for those of you who don't know what it is, it's a $7 billion project that would pump more than 800,000-barrels of toxic tar sands crude each day from alberta through america's agricultural heart lands to remainries in the gulf. environmentalists have an issue because it is going to separate climate change. they're saying that if obama decides to sign this permit, he is basically going against what he said during the inauguration.
let's take a look at what he did say about the climate change during the inauguration. >> we will respond to the threat of climate change, knowing that the failure to do so would betray our children and future generations. [ applause ] >> some may still deny the overwhelming judgment of science, but none can avoid the devastating impact of raging fires and crippling drought and more powerful storms. >> well, the reason why this is now making news today is because 53 of our u.s. senators have been urging obama to sign the permit. they don't care about what it's going to do to the climate. later, we'll talk about the financial aspects of this. michael hastierings, you ever more on this story. it's a little ridiculous. >> it's a 1700-mile pipeline. it's been delayed a number of times now but the governor of nebraska has just signed off on it, and now the fate of it rests
in president obama's hands and people in nebraska are not happy about it. there's already been protests trying to stop it. >> from native american drums to grassroots speaking out gems the oil pipeline, taking they are fight to the state capitol. >> everybody takes it for granted, water. we can't take it for granted. if a drop of oil gets in there there goes our water. >> transcanada wants to build it to the gulf of mexico, passing through nebraska. a state evaluation finds the new route still passes over the action i didn't fer but avoids the sand hills, one of the reasons why the governor approved the project. >> we're always concerned about a spill but they made assurances in that report that it will be minimal. >> this pipeline is massive. it's -- the oil is from the tar sands. let's take a look at how long
this pipeline is. it goes through montana kansas, nebraska oklahoma and texas. >> you name a lot of these states, and a looked to the letter that was signed by 53 senators. two of those senators, one from montana also happens to be the co chair of the payroll tax subcommittee. it matters big time, because what they can do is attach the key stone pipeline legislation to must-pass legislation with the payroll tax. the republicans want him to do that. baucus is in favor of this. the democrats will be really upset if he goes it alone. he's been called mat baucus, the one man caucus. joan hogan the north dakota senator taken money from the
energy industry. john horner of texas many taking none less than $400,000. >> there are jobs in montana. the governor of montana wants this, they want the jobs there. they're not paying a lot of attention. we're going to speaking to some people who are may go more attention to the environmental impact of this. there's a watchdog group called oil change international. we're joined today by steve increase man and by a rancher. i ewe up in new york city. gentlemen, thanks for being on "the young turks." >> thanks for having us. >> thank you. >> benjamin, i want to talk about the ranching. what is it about this pipeline and how will it affect your life
and the life of people who do what you do? what are the impacts on your business? >> well, the first impact's going to be the immediate impacts of construction on the land itself, so for example what folks from where i'm from in the sand hills were concerned about was the impacts on that landscape, because it's very fragile. sand hills is the name, and that's the soil. it's sand, and folks are concerned about erosion wind erosion, and things like that. another impact is to the aquifer. this pipeline will be directly in the aquifer. that's the largest fresh water source in north america and the sows of all of our agricultural livestock and irrigation water and source of the economy in my state. >> we almost wore the same thing today. i'm glad that didn't happen. you know i think that in
speaking to both of you, one of the things, steven, is to talk about what us going on right now with your activism, what kind of, is there anything promising. we see these 53 senators. man, that seems like an uphill battle. >> the industry is trying to buy their way to this pipeline, without a doubt and, you know, putting a lot of money into it. you mentioned that letter signed by 53 senators who on average have taken 350% more oil money than their colleagues who haven't signed the letter and aren't urging the president to avert this environmental disaster. it's clear where the industry stands and what they're willing to do to get it. many are going to gather for the forward on climate rally. you can find out more information at the website. we're trying to fight the money with the money. that's what we're doing. >> the issue keeps coming up
again and again and they keep urging the president to sign the permit and thankfully in the past he has denied part of the construction, but what would you say to those individuals who argue this is going to create jobs that nebraska definitely needs, how do you fight against those claims? >> there aren't that many jobs that are going to be created by this. at the end of the day, jobs are created, but there are more available in constructing the clean energy economy we need for the long haul and energy transition we have to affect in this economy. the oil industry is a dying industry at the end of the day. it doesn't look that way they're still incredibly financially healthy and profitable but there is no place for the fossil fuel industry in a climate contained world. we ever the international energy agency, a completely neutral non-governmental body saying that two thirds of the existing
fossil fuel reserves need to stay in the ground. when you start seeing -- i mean, that's huge. the point of the matter is why continue to pump money into a dying industry? we need to stop this while we can. >> what's the nightmare scenario here, if the pipeline goes through, what would a natural catastrophe look like if there was an oil spill what would it do to the environment? >> well, in the case of nebraska most of our major cities lincoln omaha get their drinking water and they're from downstream of where the pipeline would be. if there was a major leak or spill into a river or aquifer most of the people in nebraska's drinking water could potentially be devastated by that. >> well, and that's absolutely right, and the scary thing about this pipeline is it's not just standard crude oil.
it's what's called diluted ditch mit. they won't have to pay into the oil spill response fund, because it's not considered oil. they're not potentially help to go pay for any clean up in the future. >> thank you gentlemen for joining us. >> when we come back, john kerry had a picnic in front of the senate now it's chuck hague he will said turn. who does he run into that old friends like lindsey graham. >> the reason i voted no to start with. >> i know why. my question is would you reconsider and would you vote yes this time? commercials? those types are coming on to me all the time now. (vo) she gets the comedians laughing and the thinkers thinking. >>ok, so there's wiggle room in the ten commandments, that's what you're saying. you would rather deal with
ahmadinejad than me. >>absolutely. >> and so would mitt romney. (vo) she's joy behar. >>and the best part is that current will let me say anything. what the hell were they thinking?
>> welcome back, mike sell shore with you, ana kasparian joining me michael hastings as well. look at this, stepping in with
sneakers and all david cerona. today, chuck hagel was in front of his old senate, colleagues he thought were friends. he had friends in the senate, friendsfriends like john mccain. >> that's a direct question. i expect a direct answer. >> the surge assisted in the objective but the if we review the record a little bit. >> would you answer the question, were you correct or incorrect when you said that the surge would be the most dangerous foreign policy blunder in this country since vietnam. were up correct or incorrect yes or no? >> my reference to. >> the question is were you right or wrong? that's a pretty straight-forward question. i would like the answer whether you were right or wrong and then you are free to elaborate. >> i wanted to say that that guy was almost president but he wasn't even almost president.
>> he's president of the surge. >> he's president of the surge, and he is a grumpy old man. john kerry got a free pass up there. he's a democratic. chuck hagel's just getting lambasted. he's a republican, a colleague. how is this happened? >> he's perceived as a threat to the idea of what the republicans have stood for. here you have a guy who's saying a lot of things that democrats have said, a lot of things frankly that progressives have said. whether he is a progressive, that's a big question. i don't think chuck hagel is a progressive, but he's been saying a lot of those things. the problem is he is a republican voice saying those things so he is obviously a bigger threat to the republican brand than any democratic could possibly be. >> ana, did this seem unseemly. >> it was the most ridiculous thing i've ever seen. the fact that mccain kept asking him a question and would not allow him to answer that question was ridiculous. you would think that you would
allow someone to explain with more nuance. he doesn't want nuance. he wants yes or no. situations are more complicated than that. david hit the nailen oh the head. people like john mccain see hagel as a threat to his pro war agenda. >> let's remember about the surge. all right the iraq surge did not work in the way that the bush administration said it should work. the iraq surge was opposed by the generals. the iraq surge resulted in 1,000 more u.s. troops being killed and most of the analysis of what happened on the ground, why did the violence go down in iraq, in part, it was already decreasing when the surge started and we helped fund a number of death squads to essentially ethnically cleanse the areas suffering from violence. >> before we get to another former colleague of chuck
hagels, you were on the ground in iraq, mick michael. tell us about the iraq surge. >> david laid out the case about why the surge if you want to say it, the surge worked in washington. the surge convinced the foreign policy establishment that we won in iraq. john mccain believes we won in iraq, so that, if you're operating on that level of drawings, it's not surprising that you're not willing to embrace the nuance of abargument. you could make the argument that the she it agovernment is more friendly to iran. how much more powerful you did we make iran? >> if you want more friendly liar here is senator lindsey graham. >> if you had a chance tomorrow, today after lunch to vote to say that the iranian revolutionary guard was a terrorist organization, would you still vote no? >> well, the reason i voted no
to start with was -- >> i know why, you told me that. my question is would you reconsider and would you vote yes this time or would you still vote no. >> times change, i recognize that. yes, i would reconsider. >> thank you that's encouraging. my time is up, but we'll have another round. >> a lot of that interrogation. lindsey graham was on sunday television saying things like we are not going to even confirm chuck hagel until we get leon panetta here to testify on benghazi. they are still talking about ben gas. >> i. >> let's move on to marco rubio talking to fox news. >> i stated long ago that i've been deeply disturbed by his previous comments and positions with regards to sanctions on iran, with regard to direct negotiations of north rhea, statements he made against israel. these are not the kind of positions i want to see. these are big big problems.
>> yeah, these are big problems, and that's true, but and that's why we're confirming the secretary of defense. it's not just about this confirmation process it's about the job they will do. it's about dealing with things like the mideast. as you can see there are flare ups in the mideast almost daily. let's look at this from egypt. >> now the head of the army is warn it is on the verge of collapse. they tell us the new president is acting like a dictator, like the one egyptians overthrew. these are carpenters, tour guides and teachers. they believe if they don't rise up their country will be turned into an islamic state. >> we have eric cunningham from egypt. i think it's 2:30 a.m. so thanks for sticking up with us. >> no problem. >> so oh, can you run through
how bad is egypt now compared to when the revolution took place? we've heard talk of civil war. is that what you're feeling on the ground? >> i don't think we're at the point where there would be a civil war just yet but with more tense this time around, it took a more central role. there were protests with security forces. certainly, things are a lot different. they sort of dropped the pretense of a peaceful uprising against the government. so certainly things are very serious. i wouldn't go so far as to say there will be a civil war just yet. >> these opposition groups claiming that the morsi is acting more and more like mubarak. do you see him trying to install an author tarian regime in the
country. >> he would like to valuize authority around. whether or not he will continue in that position is another story, but he's certainly falling into the trap that mubarak did. he is issuing repressive security orders for military curfew and giving them powers of arrest and certainly he had some of the same -- using some of the same tactics. that was very worrying, not just for -- >> a report from al jazeera are showing movements to negotiate this. >> inside those trucks were s.a.17's. those were very capable. >> or not.
let's keep with the guests. what's going on? can we believe these talks and negotiations? do these secular groups any chance to win this fight against the islamic brotherhood muslim brotherhood, sorry. >> it's hard to tell. i don't care how much the parties control what's on the street however they do sort of broadly represent some of the aims of the protestors that are taking part in the demonstration on the street. i think they have, you know, they have a good hand to play, but it depends on whether or not they can organize form ally and in more of a grassroots way to get people out to vote for them. i think that there is right now a force to concede but there needs to be form and it can't be
just a back and forth tit for tat argument. >> there's an argument always thrown out there that lambic aligned governments will not tolerate democratic dissent. is that a fair way to interpret what is going on? >> that is unclear because, you know we haven't seen islam form ally in power particularly through election. since the arab spring where an islamic government has taken power. i don't know if his tendencies towards you a tore tarianism are from his background. i don't think he is trying to impose an islamic state.
what's more dangerous is the fact that he's, the must be richar are a policies and that is unfriendly towards secular opposition. i just think we'll have to wait and see until the next election. >> we thank erin cunningham. erin, please get some rest. we're thankful that you were able to join us at that late hour. >> when we come back, these huge sodas that they're banning. it's not just regular and diet, it's rich and poor, and black and white. >> where you live matters. a life expectancy of 62 years another in northbound baltimore 82 years a 22 life expectancy difference.
cheap is good. and sushi, good. but cheap sushi, not so good. it's like that super-low rate on not enough car insurance. pretty sketchy. ♪ ♪ and then there are the good decisions. like esurance. their coverage counselor tool helps you choose the right coverage for you at a great price. [ stomach growls ] without feeling queasy. that's insurance for the modern world. esurance. now backed by allstate. click or call.
>> welcome back to "the young turks." the new york city board of health recently approved a ban on sugary drinks that are more than 16-ounces. an interesting thing has happened. the naacp has come out against that soda ban. hazel dukes explains why to cnn. >> we are not for sugary drinks. we applaud the mayor when he took sugary drinks out of our public school system, but as the bans stand now it's fought a level playing field. there's an economic, the small business and the mom and pop stores in our community will be punished, while the chain stores cancel as they want to. we are saying there's a holistic approach that we need to take to
obesity. >> she makes an excellent point when she points out this does impact pom and pop shops not chain stores like 7/11's, because they are regulated by the state, not the cities and counties. she makes a strong point. however, obesity impacts minorities disproportionately. it is explained how obesity impacts certain areas as opposed to others. >> where you live matters and it matters a lot. another way of putting this is that your zip code matters more than your genetic code. baltimore has a census track down near the inner harbor with a life expectancy of 62 years and another up in northern baltimore, 82 years a 20 year life expectancy difference.
>> let's take a quick look at some african-american health statistics which i find fascinating. of a attorneys are 1.4 times more likely to suffer from obesity, three times the chance of diabetes and death and that's according to the u.s. department of health and human services. how to, we do have a geoff joining us today. in fact, the guest is an individual that you saw in that video earlier. it's dr. anthony ison, the senior vice president of healthy communities, and the california endowment. he joins us today to talk about obesity and the soda ban. doctor, thank you for joining us today. >> thanks for having me. >> first question to you is, you know is the naacp impacted at all by the amount of funding that they get from companies like coca-cola? just to give an example coca-cola announced one houston thousand dollars grants to the naacp to support a healthy
lifestyles program. pepsi gave the group $10,000 in 2010. people are wondering whether or not the money has an impact at all. >> well, i think it's pretty clear that the money has an impact. we've seen this playbook before. in the 1990's, the tobacco industry particularly phillip morris was a big donor to the naacp, the accidently the new york chapter and those organization that the naacp decided to come out against tobacco taxes against smoking restrictions in bars, using the same basic rationale being used today for coming out against soda taxes like they did in richmond california, and el monte california and the drink size ban in new york. the playbook is very clear that this is how the industry divides
and conquers populations and can overcome resistance to these particular times of initiatives. >> doctor, i wouldn't challenge your reasoning and certainly you've researched it more than i have or than any of us have, i would imagine but the idea, that, you know, a lot of money to a lot of people is a drop in the bucket to the naacp the money that coca-cola has given. just about everybody gives to the naacp. isn't there something to the argument, to what is binges about the factual that these small businesses especially in new york city, generally owned by minorities, by people not as wealthy, they can't compete. leveling the playing field is what she said. isn't that part of the what the naacp was in vented for 400 years ago? >> i don't think that the inability to serve a 32-ounce soda is going to drive you out of business. you know, let's get realistic here. we're talking about a balance trying to strike the right balance between protecting
children and protecting profits. so in trying to assert what the right balance is there, you're going to have health arguments and hope that you're going to have reasonable economic arguments. i don't think that there's a reasonable economic arguments that says 32-ounce drinks are what's saving minority business practitioners in new york. >> how badly are these sodas impacting the health of minority communities, black communities what's the sail of this? is this an epidemic? how should we talk about it, what terms should we use? >> there's about a 15 year life expectancy difference between african-americans and whites in the communities out here in california where we're really trying to work on this issue. the drivers of that life expectancy difference are two things, really a chronic disease that are driven by tobacco, and obesity. the single biggest culprit in the obesity epidemic are sugar
drinks. we need to look at tobacco and sugar sweetened beverages and other causes of owe he bees city in low in come communities. there's no dispute about this, that there are going to be economic interests that are going to be injured in these efforts as with tobacco. the truth of the matter is these two agents are driving a chronic disease epidemic being disproportionately felt by low income african-americans in this country. >> when you tell them hey we think you should drink less soda what's the response generally? >> well, it's mixed. most people are looking at issues like their, you know, the ability to maintain housing or get a decent job or get access to health care, so sodas aren't the first thick on their list. when you show the data and talk about the impact on children,
people get much more interested in the issue. >> you think there should be warnings on sodas that don't give to children under the age of 16 or 12? i'm just curious because i see -- all the time. >> there are some folks out here who think that sugar is quite toxic and triggers metabolic changes that are consistent with prediabetes, and there's very good evidence of that. i think that as with all things, you have to look at the balance and the relative risks and benefits. i think that here, we're talking about essentially limited restrictions on things like megasewed he das and a penny per ounce tax on sodas. those are not the kind of things that are going to eliminate the product. it's just basically trying to make the product pay a little more for the harm it does in the lives of children. >> dr. anthony you've joined us before. we want to see you again. thank you so much for enlightening us on to the polite of what's going on with sodas.
we really appreciate your time. when we get back, we talk about san francisco as a liberal bastion, a place welcoming to gay americans it always has been right? wrong again 49er fans. >> anything on the 49ers? >> nah they don't got no gay people on the team. got to get up out of here if that's true. can't be with the sweet stuff. >> really, that's true? >> yeah, it's true. >> it's go time. but when joint pain and stiffness from psoriatic arthritis hit even the smallest things became difficult. i finally understood what serious joint pain is like. i talked to my rheumatologist and he prescribed enbrel. enbrel can help relieve pain, stiffness, and stop joint damage. because enbrel, etanercept suppresses your immune system, it may lower your ability to fight infections.
serious, sometimes fatal events including infections tuberculosis lymphoma, other cancers, and nervous system and blood disorders have occurred. before starting enbrel your doctor should test you for tuberculosis and discuss whether you've been to a region where certain fungal infections are common. don't start enbrel if you have an infection like the flu. tell your doctor if you're prone to infections, have cuts or sores have had hepatitis b have been treated for heart failure, or if, while on enbrel, you experience persistent fever, bruising, bleeding, or paleness. [ phil ] get back to the things that matter most. ask your rheumatologist if enbrel is right for you. [ doctor ] enbrel, the number one biologic medicine prescribed by rheumatologists.
>> you know, it is the thursday before the superbowl. i am as some of you know a huge and life long 49ers fan never more disappointed than when our number 29, a nickel back, corner
back, chris culliver said this of the. >> what about gay guys, any of them approach you? >> no, i don't do the gay guys. >> are there any on the 49ers. >> we don't got no gay people on the team. they got to oh get up out of here if they do. can't be with that sweet stuff. >> really, is that true? >> yeah, it's true. >> so disappointing to hear that. i will ask you first what do you make of this when you hear something like that? >> anytime i hear something like this or someone shows so much discomfort todded other gay males, i think wow he's really insecure about his sexuality. it makes me think maybe he's a little gay maybe he's had gay thoughts. i'm not saying that about culliver. >> there's nothing gay about being in a locker room with a
towel around you. >> unless you're thinking of it in your head, and then maybe it is gay a little bit. >> can we say this is a teachal moment? >> that's the way it's supposed to be. we've had performers, entertainment people, tim hardaway years ago he turned it around. what you want to do is find understanding and then find some kind of way to see things differently. that's what you'd like to see. do you want to put them in prison. you lambast and talk down on them, talk about what they're doing wrong and give them information. maybe they'll see what it is as human beings, if someone's gay they're not going to grab your butt because you're in the locker room with them. this guy was drafted in 2011. we need to change the culture of how things are talking about. it's rampant in the other thought process. you have to influence them with
the reality of what the word really is. >> a lot of times that also starts with an apology and culliver would apologize. this is chris culliver: >> now, one thing i did yesterday is i went to chris culliver's twitter account,@cullyinthehouse. >> it's a reflection of my thoughts but it's not how i feel? what does that even mean? >> strange, strange apology. >> look, you're talking to arty lang, a sort of dirty humor show. you get caught in the thing where he asks a question, a real curveball. i think they're having some
mixed messages. there have been a lot of gay jokes and people seem to be getting away with it. then he says something like this. i think it's a teachable moment, a good thing especially if you're an entertainer. >> we have another story for you guys. this next video is a one minute commercial for volkswagen that will be airing during the superbowl sunday. there's a white male office worker speaking in a. >>jamaican accent. >> i heard bad news. >> it's the worst. >> no worries man everything will be all right. >> ya, mon. don't sweat me brother. the sticky buns come soon. ya! wicked coffee! julia, turn the frown the other way around! [ laughter ] >> that's the power of german
engineering. >> all right see i think it's hilarious. i don't know about you guys, but i see nothing about this that is racist the. >> it's kind of hard to call it racist. in jamaica it's not like everyone there is black. it's caribbean, you have all different types of people. you know what i mean. so, i don't see how it's racist per se. if some feel it's stereotyping and offensive absolutely, i could see that point but i don't think it's racist. >> absolutely. i'll read this statement from the caribbean studies and caribbean heritage organization.
>> so just what you're talking about, ana this accent is all over jamaica and with difference faces. >> the point of the commercial is aren't you from minnesota he says land of thousand lakes 10,000 lakes right? [ laughter ] >> the reason it's supposed to be funny is because our mindset of what a. >>jamaican is is a man whos hey man i'm floating in the water. that's our mindset. if we understood the people, we would know exactly where the statement came from. if it's so normal, why is that a twist in the commercial no. >> i think they do find it
funny. they went on to call it very amusing i think was the word that they used. >> they're conflicting though. >> i just got back from jamaica. i was deeply offended. i'm not going to buy that car and i think much of the dangers -- >> are you really offended by it? >> i'm never going to buy a volkswagen, i'll tell you that. >> because of the jamaica accent? there are those that wouldn't buy a volkswagen for other reasons. >> you pulled the hair off really well, the accent. when we come back, i thank everybody. we are going to explore the world of extreme sports. have they gotten too extreme? what we need are people prepared for the careers of our new economy. by 2025 we could have 20 million jobs without enough college graduates to fill them. that's why at devry university we're teaming up with companies like cisco to help make sure everyone is ready with the know-how we need
for a new tomorrow. [ male announcer ] make sure america's ready. make sure you're ready. at ♪ ♪
>> welcome back to turk row. our next topic is caleb moore a snowballer who tragically died in a crash at the x games. it's downer, really talented kid trying to do a back flip and
didn't milwaukee it. what do we think, are these too dangerous, has it gone too far? >> i think we have the video. it looks insane. >> landing on him obviously is the devastating part of this. >> it's terrible, but i think it's important to show the context. it is called the x games, stands for extreme. what i found disturbing is when i read about it, he'd only been practicing this stunt for two weeks. that's not enough time to master this level of stunt. when he was practicing other stunts, he practiced outside of dallas where there wasn't a lot of snow, so he was landing in foam rather than snow, so i just think although it's too late for him, it's a good place to learn for the future. >> come on, there's an inherent danger in all sports, all activities.
>> not to that level, though. >> this is extreme yes ski jumping, there's always been they just push the envelope a lot. what are you going to legislate that they can't do these x games. caleb moore would think you are ridiculous. >> i think it would be great for people to train for longer to maybe avoid these type of situations, because he really didn't practice for a very long time before getting out and trying that stunt. >> the most veteran guy can make a mistake. also, as he's training, what if this happened in practice? there's some point where you have to try to pull it off. when does that day come. that's one of the questions i will always ask. i'm looking at these ridiculous jumps they do, i think what day are you going to go. >> what about boxing, auto race, these are people, it's dangerous. >> there are regulations to put in place to prevent death and severe injuries in those sports, for instance. when it comes to the nfl, one big story is about the number of
concussions these players facing. you know, certain policy makers now thinking about legislation to mitigate the impact of playing something as rough as football. let's have a discussion about what we can do to prevent something like this. i was joking when i said i would ban it. of course, that's ridiculous. >> part of the attraction of these extreme sports is to see a sort of catastrophic accident, but what we really want is for the guy to get up, wave and walk away. same as nascar races they don't want people to get hurt, but they want to see the crash. >> let's move on to more risky behavior. in oakland people in souped up cars decided to do doughnuts in the middle of a freeway that let's take a look a the that. >> a half dozen cars started doing doughnuts in the middle of the 880 free wee in oakland. the witness said she was
worried. >> i thought he would hit the wall and come over to our side of the freeway. >> the california patrol is trying to decipher license plates and asking the public to help identify cars with features that stick out like orange rims. >> i have no time for these kind of shenanigans. i don't want you to stop traffic, put other people's lives in danger. there was another story involving this had biker who wanted to propose to his girlfriend so he got 300 bikers to shut down the freeway in west covina california, got off his bike and did some pink smoke thing and got off his bike to propose to her. >> sounds sweet. >> it's not awesome. it's a public spectacle. on top of that, you're inconveniencing and putting other people in danger and i'm
not in favor of that. do your doughnuts somewhere else, on a rural part of town. >> i do so every morning. they're delicious. >> those gentlemen are drinking 16-ounce caffeinated sodas i think. >> also, you have fighting. a joking video last year, has just gotten some more criticism right now. >> i'll show you guys how to pick up a girl, fast. choose something easy on your feet very important. try to have her relax chloroform. you don't need too much money zip ties. i like to get these at the local gas station about five bucks. >> i talked to my cousin about security, so i know the cameras are going to be at the turns right now. >> one word. >> just think about who you are and if you really believe it and
what it's going to do to your livelihood. >> that video goes on showing the guy trying to rape a woman and she turns around and shoots him. i think the last thing we need to joke around especially this year is rape. we're just constantly talking about rape in the wrong ways. it's a bad time. >> you have a disrespect for women, for gay people, because it's not knowledge about both of those subjects and seriousness of it isn't pumped up enough, it's education education education. >> he had a mental breakdown and crashed a car. i will admit i did crack up watching that stuff because i'm a sick, sick man. >> because it was so stupid. >> because it was so stupid, but you're right he's setting himself up. >> this could force someone who thinks they adore rampage to think awesome let's try that. >> he also miss spelled girl,
which upset me.